Qualification of the month – Orthodontics
NEBDN is supporting its course providers by sharing monthly articles named ‘Crowning Courses’, to highlight the Post-Registration qualifications on offer for accreditation. The articles are also useful for qualified dental nurses wanting to progress their careers, or those thinking of becoming a course provider wanting to know more about the qualifications we offer and how the course syllabus works.
This month’s Crowning Courses article features our Orthodontics qualification.
The course at a glance
NEBDN course providers offering the Orthodontics qualification can support qualified dental nurses in the progression of their Post-Registration journey.
NEBDN’s certificate in Orthodontic Dental Nursing is one of our Post-Registration qualifications aimed at registered dental nurses in specialist practice, where skills and knowledge above general dental nursing training would be advantageous in the workplace.
The course content
For more information on our Orthodontics qualification or syllabus click here
Currently NEBDN provide two exam dates a year in March and September for all Post-Registration exams.
Prior to sitting the exam, candidates are required to complete a work-based assessment portfolio called the Record of Competence, which can now be completed online for ease of use to candidates, course providers and the environment.
Click here for full exam schedule.
• Third searched for Post-Registration qualification in 2020
• Over 4,000 Orthodontics page visits on our website since January 2020, with over 1,600 course provider searches for the qualification this year.
• Currently, we have 16 course providers offering this course, and as you can see above, the demand is there for new students to join.
Following a recent survey to Post-Registration candidates, the below quotes highlighted how candidates feel towards studying their Post-Registration course and if they would consider using another awarding organisation for their Post-Registration qualifications.
“No. No others are recognised on the same level as an NEBDN qualification.”
“No, highly recommended NEBDN with it being a national recognised qualification.”
“Really good course. Straight forward and really informative – I was hesitant to start the qualification due to thinking it may be too hard work, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it!”
As an awarding organisation, NEBDN offer the most Post-Registration qualifications across the UK in Radiography, Implant, Sedation, Oral Health, Orthodontics and Special Care. Offering a wider range of qualifications provides flexibility for course providers wanting to expand and grow their businesses, as it allows students to stay within the same course provider practice when moving on to another area of dental nursing.
Process for accreditation
For more information, or to order an accreditation enquiry pack, please complete the Contact Form and return to the accreditation team at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us on 01772 429917.
Benefit of choosing an NEBDN accredited course
• NEBDN’s long-standing reputation outweighs many competitors, with over 75 years of providing dental nursing qualifications in both pre-registration and post-registration areas.
• Our primary qualification is recognised by a regulatory body, and as a registered charity we don’t charge any hidden fees or incentives, because our vision is to support the education and development of dental nurses in the UK.
• All candidates who successfully pass their qualifications are awarded certificates of completion as opposed to certificates of attendance which are of different relevance.
• Holding accreditation for delivery of qualifications indicates that the standards for education, policies, process and procedures in place, highlight an effective quality management system which is the core foundation of a course provider.
• An accredited qualification could be more favourable with employers who are aware of the standards required to achieve qualification.
• Accredited courses offer guided learning hours and credits – where appropriate these can be transferred to further education, whereas non-accredited courses cannot offer this opportunity.
• Students can purchase the widely recognised NEBDN pin badge that dates back to 1951!
• Accreditation fee for existing course providers – no charge
• Accreditation fee for new course providers £500
• Course fee to us £195* per candidate
*Additional fees to students may apply, subject to each course provider policy and course schedule
Where can this qualification take me?
A qualified dental nurse who is awarded the NEBDN certificate in Orthodontics, will learn a mixture of treatment styles using removable appliances such as wire orthodontic techniques and the use of standard Edgewise systems and functional appliances which are widely used in many specialist practices. This qualification also emphasises the medico-legal aspects of treatment and the importance of good communication between patient and the dental team.
Successful completion of this qualification will enhance your professional development and provide evidence to employers that you have had thorough training in this specialist area.