Qualification of the month – Radiography
NEBDN is supporting its course providers by sharing monthly articles named ‘Crowning Courses’, to highlight the Post-Registration qualifications on offer for accreditation. The articles are also useful for qualified dental nurses wanting to progress their careers, or those thinking of becoming a course provider and wanting to know more about the qualifications we offer and how the course syllabus works.
This month’s Crowning Courses article is on our Radiography qualification.
The course at a glance
NEBDN course providers offering the Radiography qualification can support qualified dental nurses in the progression of their Post-Registration journey. Offering this qualification provides an opportunity for dental nurses to work autonomously under the direction of the clinician, whilst working within current UK legislation regarding ionising radiation, allowing them to perform under prescription as an IR(ME)R Operator, taking intra and extra oral radiographs of patients safely.
The course content
For more information on our Radiography qualification or syllabus click here
Currently NEBDN provide two exam dates a year in March and September for all Post-Registration exams.
Our exam requirements include a work-based assessment portfolio called the Record of Competence, which can now be completed online for ease of use to candidates and course providers.
Click here for full exam schedule.
• Most searched for Post-Registration qualification in 2019 and most searched for qualification on our course provider search list.
• Over 5,018 Radiography page visits on our website since January 2020, with over 700 course provider searches for the qualification.
• Currently, we have 26 course providers offering this course, but as you can see above, the demand is there for new students to join.
As an awarding organisation, NEBDN offer the most Post-Registration qualifications across the UK in Radiography, Implant, Sedation, Oral Health, Orthodontics and Special Care. Offering a wider range of qualifications provides flexibility for course providers wanting to expand and grow their businesses, as it allows students to stay within the same course provider practice when moving on to another area of dental nursing.
Process for accreditation
Benefit of choosing an NEBDN accredited course
• NEBDN’s long-standing reputation outweighs many competitors, with over 75 years of providing dental nursing qualifications in both pre-registration and post-registration areas.
• Our primary qualification is recognised by a regulatory body, and as a registered charity we don’t charge any hidden fees or incentives, because our vision is to support the education and development of dental nurses in the UK.
• All candidates who successfully pass their qualifications are awarded certificates of completion as opposed to certificates of attendance which are of different relevance.
• Holding accreditation for delivery of qualifications indicates that the standards for education, policies, process and procedures in place, highlight an effective quality management system which is the core foundation of a course provider.
• An accredited qualification could be more favourable with employers who are aware of the standards required to achieve qualification.
• Accredited courses offer guided learning hours and credits – where appropriate these can be transferred to further education, whereas non-accredited courses cannot offer this opportunity.
• Students can purchase the widely recognised NEBDN pin badge that dates back to 1951!
• Accreditation fee for existing course providers – no charge
• Accreditation fee for new course providers £500
• Course fee to us £195*
*Additional fees to students may apply, subject to each course provider policy and course schedule
Where can this qualification take me?
A qualified dental nurse who is awarded the NEBDN certificate in Dental Radiography, will be able to act under prescription as an IR(ME)R operator, in order to safely take intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs of patients. The additional skills acquired, together with the knowledge gained, will enhance your CV and bring benefits to your employer and to patients.