Qualification of the month – Dental Sedation Nursing
NEBDN is supporting its course providers by sharing monthly articles named ‘Crowning Courses’, to highlight the Post-Registration qualifications on offer for accreditation. The articles are also useful for qualified dental nurses wanting to progress their careers, or those thinking of becoming a course provider wanting to know more about the qualifications we offer and how the course syllabus works.
This month’s Crowning Courses article features our Sedation qualification.
The course at a glance
NEBDN course providers offering the Sedation qualification can support qualified dental nurses in the progression of their Post-Registration journey.
NEBDN’s certificate in Dental Sedation Nursing is one of our Post-Registration qualifications aimed at registered dental nurses in specialist practice. Conscious Sedation is a vital part of modern dentistry enabling a huge number of patients with anxieties, phobias and other contributing medical factors, to access care they otherwise could not tolerate. In the UK this involves appropriately qualified clinically trained staff administering sedative drugs to the patient using the appropriate method; intravenously, orally or through inhalation.
The course content
For more information on our Sedation qualification or syllabus click here
Currently NEBDN provide two online exam dates a year in March and September for all Post-Registration exams. The exam consists of a number of multiple choice and extensive multiple choice questions.
Prior to sitting the exam, candidates are required to complete a work-based assessment portfolio called the Record of Competence (RoC), which can now be completed online for ease of use to candidates and course providers.
Click here for the exam schedule.
• Online portfolio RoC
• Online exam
• 2,442 course provider searches in 2020 and 1,255 website views this year
• Currently we have 22 course providers offering this course
• No accreditation fee for existing course providers (£500 for new applicants)
• Featured on our course provider search list
As an awarding organisation, NEBDN offer the widest choice of Post-Registration qualifications across the UK in Radiography, Implant, Sedation, Oral Health, Orthodontics, Special Care and Fluoride Varnish Application. Offering an extensive range of qualifications provides flexibility for course providers wanting to expand and grow their businesses, as it allows students to stay within the same course provider practice when moving on to another area of dental nursing.
Process for accreditation
For more information, or to apply for accreditation, please contact the accreditation team at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us on 01772 429917.
Benefit of choosing an NEBDN accredited course
• NEBDN’s long-standing reputation outweighs many competitors, with over 75 years of providing dental nursing qualifications in both pre-registration and post-registration areas.
• Our primary qualification is recognised by a regulatory body, and as a registered charity we don’t charge any hidden fees or incentives, because our vision is to support the education and development of dental nurses in the UK.
• All candidates who successfully pass their qualifications are awarded certificates of completion as opposed to certificates of attendance which are of different relevance.
• Holding accreditation for delivery of qualifications indicates that the standards for education, policies, processes and procedures in place, highlight an effective quality management system which is the core foundation of a course provider.
• An accredited qualification could be more favourable with employers who are aware of the standards required to achieve qualification.
- Accreditation fee for existing course providers – no charge
- Accreditation fee for new course providers £500
- Course fee to us *£195 per candidate
*Additional fees to students may apply, subject to each course provider policy and course schedule
Where can this qualification take me?
A qualified dental nurse who completes the qualification in Dental Sedation Nursing, will be able to assist in dental sedation treatment.
You will be clinically involved in the preparation of the environment, monitoring the patient throughout and trained to assist with complication or emergencies should they arise. Your new skills and knowledge will enable you to prepare a safe and calm environment for your patients, offering clinical support throughout their procedure and delivering pre- and post-operative instructions to the patient and their chaperone.
Successful completion of this qualification will enhance your professional development and provide evidence to employers that you have had thorough training in this specialist area.